Wednesday, September 2, 2009

CHEESECAKE HISTORY

Okay, this is not a food blogspot. Really – ice cream last month and now cheesecake? But I must talk about one of my other favorite desserts – cheesecake.

History indicates that the art of making cheese goes back as far as 2000 BC. It is widely accepted that cheesecake originated in ancient Greece and was served to the athletes at the first Olympic Games in 776 BC. Can you imagine running a mile after a rich slice of heavenly cheesecake?

After that time, the delicacy spread across the world. (I’m not at all surprised.)

I have to say, I am in love with a man named James L. Kraft. He developed the method of pasteurizing cheese in 1912. Since then, Philadelphia brand cream cheese has been in mass production. This made it possible for homemakers everywhere to make their own delicious cheesecakes.

Here in Utah when a very popular cheesecake restaurant first opened its doors, people waited in line for two to three hours for a slice. As a cheesecake lover, I believed I should have been the first in line. However, that didn’t happen. So when my birthday rolled around this year, my sister took me on a special outing. Yummm!

I anxiously awaited my piece of heaven. My taste buds were filled with savory anticipation. That delectable cream…that honey graham crust… The minute it hit my tongue, I wanted to die.

Yuck! It tasted like an instant, foamy cheesecake mix from the store! I can’t begin to tell you the disappointment my little taste buds endured. It was like getting a mouthful of black pepper when you were expecting sugar.

Well, I endured my cheesecake ordeal. How about you? Have you found a wonderful place to get your quota of delicious cheesecake? Write me and let me know. Meanwhile, I will be making mine from scratch. Let me know if you want the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Cravings demand the top of the line in satisfaction. You say the word Cheesecake and my tongue stands at alert. Something magnificiant is going to happen. And when it doesn't, oh the sin you have hexed upon you senses is disappointing.
    My son-in-law makes a devine cheesecake instead of birthday cakes for the family (by request) and my daughter makes a thick, sweet eruption of raspberry sause that is drissled onto each bite. Ah, yeah...it's a dive into shear heaven. Thankfully, it only happens eight times a year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.