Wednesday, March 31, 2010

SOLUTION FOR DIABETES


I’ve been on a medical hiatus for the last six months, and I can’t say it’s been much fun. As a Type 2 Diabetic, my insulin requirements have continued to increase. Last year, I finally maxed out all of the oral medications I could take (five different medications to be exact).

The doctors’ advice as been varied:

“You must be eating wrong. Change your behavior or I won’t continue to treat you.”

“You need to go on an insulin pump.”

“You’re not taking the right dosages of the right medications.”

“You need to leave your husband and kids to reduce your stress and take care of you.”
Unfortunately, none of this professional advice helped much.

With multiple health problems and two autistic children, I’ve struggled with exercise, my weight, and my stress level. Last year after putting my oldest son in an inpatient program up at the University of Utah because he had become a threat to himself and others, my glucose numbers soared. Frankly, I’m not the sort of person who just walks out because it gets difficult.

When oral medications no longer covered my problem, my doctor started me on insulin. I had a reaction to the type I needed and had to substitute with two others. Besides my oral medications, I now had to take six shots a day. Life wasn’t fun.

I started investigating my options. I discovered the medical profession was trying to get one particular weight-loss procedure approved by the insurance companies for diabetes. Apparently, gastric bypass surgery, not lap band, causes some kind of enzyme change within the stomach which immediately reverses diabetes. The result is not from weight-loss but from the actual surgical procedure. They are working to get this approved for people who are diabetic and not necessarily overweight.

With all my other health problems, having this surgery was risky. But my husband and I weighed the options and decided to do it. I had the surgery on December 29, 2009. The surgery was complicated but successful. It took twice as long for me, I had to stay at the hospital longer, and I’ve had other complications since…but I’m alive and I’m thankful for that.

The best news: within one month, I was able to drop all oral medications, completely stop one type of insulin, and reduce the other insulin dose by forty-percent.

I’ve had to put my life and writing on hold, but in the end, I know my life will be better. The characters of my current work-in-progress have hung out with me and have just been waiting for me to tell their story. Hopefully we can get back to the business of life.

7 comments:

  1. Hugs, Cindy, to you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again and I'm glad things seem to be turning around for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Cindy, of course we missed you, but I'm thrilled to see the results of such a risky procedure. I pray you continue to progess toward better health. The doctors are right about one thing, you have to take care of you before you can take care of others.
    Best to you and your family. We'll look forward to the day you can join us again.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, Cindy, Cindy! OF COURSE I have missed you! You look amazing and by the sounds of it--you are feeling great too! I love you, tons and can't wait to see you! We should do lunch!

    Kelli Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful you took charge of your life and made the scary decision to move forward with that surgery! I'm thrilled for you that things are improving!!

    ~ Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems becoming worse. We talked a bit at the retreat last year, and I thought you were doing ok. I'm glad to hear you found a solution for the major problem diabetes. I hope it continues to work and soon you will be off everything. I had read that the procedure reverses diabetes. Good luck and keep us posted! Good luck with your family situation too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Cindy. I'm so glad the hardest parts are behind you. Being able to move forward on your own behalf must feel empowering. My very very best to you and your family.
    Lesli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Cindy, what a lot to go through right now. I'm glad to hear of the positive results for your diabetes. We hope to see back again soon. Hang in there.
    Imani

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.