Monday, January 17, 2011

SOME THOUGHTS ON TED WILLIAMS

I’m sure everyone has heard about Ted Williams, the homeless man turned famous by a Youtube video.

I just wanted to share my feelings on the subject. I’m all for someone getting a second chance, and I wish Ted the best. However, I have to say I was very disappointed in the whole media blitz and in Dr. Phil’s interview with him.

When I first heard about a homeless man with the rich baritone voice whose YouTube video had gone viral, I felt happy for this man who had been discovered. Then when I heard he had been offered all kinds of jobs, homes and free medical procedures, I thought how nice it would be if that kind of generosity could be spread out and shared among a number of unfortunate individuals.

Next I heard that Ted had previously been a radio announcer and had gotten caught up in drugs and alcohol. This changed my whole opinion of the story. He wasn’t some homeless man whose hidden talent got discovered and brought him out of poverty. He’d been successful and made some very bad choices which put him in his predicament.

I watched Ted Williams on Dr. Phil and was further disillusioned with the situation. Here was a man who lied to the public about his sobriety and was reluctant to accept Dr. Phil’s help of the best drug rehabilitation program in the country. Although I still wish him the best, the notoriety is not quite deserved in my opinion.

I know so many families who are struggling because of loss of job, loss of home due to failed mortgage companies or little or no health insurance and none of it is their fault. My heart goes out to these individuals who are struggling to take care of themselves and their families.

Along the same thoughts, I have met a number of very talented authors and artists who are working eight-to-five jobs but also working hard at their talents, hoping to be discovered. And they deserve it. But why doesn’t it happen to them? Why Ted Williams? Why Justin Bieber? Why Twilight author Stephenie Meyer? Why pet rocks or singing fish plaques?

Don’t ask me. I don’t have the answer. But I do know that God is fair and just and that He knows all things. Also, “Now it is better that a man should be judged of God than of man, for the judgments of God are always just, but the judgments of man are not always just.” ~Mosiah 29:12

Just because a certain person or certain item draws the attention of the media, doesn’t mean that it is deserved.

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Cindy, I agree. My problem is the amount of media that killers are getting these days. Is as if we don't have enough bad news that we have to profile loose cannons that shoot up schools or Safeway parking lots because they're upset with the politics. They don't deserve to even have their names mentioned. Yeah, they've had a hard road to travel, but there are others walking right along beside them and I don't hear them crying foul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way out of the loop I had no clue who this man was until this blog. I don't follow YouTube that much and with all I have going on with my husbans's health and living with my sister I don't have time to think and I don't watch Dr. Phil or any of the talk shows and we don't have TV so news is hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the scripture you chose to tie in with your opinions. Why all the coverage on Ted Williams? There are so many good things in the world to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right. There was a time when we didn't have on the spot TV coverage, twitter, facebook etc. Print and radio coverage were the communication mechanisms available. So Mr. Williams would not have received national coverage. I think the news media really run stories into the ground and in many cases ruin, not help, peoples lives. Remember the congressman whose aide was murdered. They practically convicted him. The coverage destryoed his career and family. Remember Brittany Spears problems and how they practically destroyed her? And this recent episode in Arizona. It was amazing how confidential records got leaked to the media from the military on the crazy guy. Then the wop sided coverage of congressman Gifford versus the six people who were murdered. There are so many instances where there is a disparity in coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Cindy. Anyone who's had any experience around drug addition and alcohol abuse could have seen the signs in this guy from the very first time they played the YouTube video. I'm only surprised it took the media so long to figure it out. Every time I saw an ad for some new guest spot, all I could think about was "The Emperor's New Clothes."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,
    I did NOT see the Dr. Phil show with Ted on it. I do NOT like Dr. Phil at all. UGH!!! But, I do hear that Ted did go into Re-Hab Treatment and is in there right now. And there is nothing worse than QUICK FAME. And you sorta have two discussions going on in this blog and I'm NOT touching the other one with a ten foot pole. hahahahaha (I believe Religion should be kept in the HOME.) End of subject on that one. I do hope Ted does well and get out and go about his MANY JOB OFFERS and does GREAT at them. You ONLY get one chance in life BUT Ted Williams ended up getting two chances in life BECAUSE of a man taking his Video and putting it on Youtube. That is GREAT!!! Love Ya, Smooches

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.