Wednesday, November 9, 2011

To Tell You the Truth…


Well, I decided to give up the writing game!  I’ve been very discouraged, my health is poor, I can’t seem to do everything as thoroughly as I should, and sales are down.

But then something happened.  Actually two things…
1.    I got an awesome review from Romancing the Book for Caskets and Corruption:
“Wow! What a simply refreshing story. You can’t help but fall in love with the zany antics of Lizzie and Phillip in this story that has you laughing and wanting to read on to find out what could possibly happen next.

Ms. Christiansen does a great job making the characters so real you actually find yourself caught up in their outrageous adventures.”
Rating: Lovely Rose
Robin, Romancing the Book

2.    My publisher just offered me a contract for another sweet contemporary, Hazardous Hideaway!

As you know, there’s nothing better than having someone you don’t know say something wonderful about your work.  It’s so validating.  Is it some sort of sign that I shouldn’t give up?  My friends think I should just write for the joy of writing and not put myself on the line with publishing and promotion. What do you think?

Before I could even bask in the glow of good news, I got snubbed by the Christian book community, saying that my writing wasn’t appropriate for them.  Mind you, they hadn’t even read one of my books.  Is that a sign that I should give up?  I’m afraid I wear my heart on my sleeve, and I’m not likely to change at this point in my life. (I can still hear my dad telling me to buck up.)

If you can afford a minute out of NaNoWriMo, I’d love to hear what some of you do to stay upbeat and motivated on this rollercoaster ride called the publishing world.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  www.dragonflyromance.com


6 comments:

  1. I say write what you love, because that's what your fans love, and I'm sure there are many, many others who will love it, too. You're never going to please everyone, so you have to love your own voice. Those who choose not to give your stories a chance are missing out. I tell myself this on a daily basis and it helps:-)
    In any case, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog, Cindy. Staying upbeat is a toughie as we age (or as I age at least) - thanks for sharing your thoughts - I was considering perhaps switching from novel writing to poetry since I had lost my interest in romance books or even suspense but in writing NaNo I've found that I can still write suspense and love the process with no strings attached around what I think is 'good' or 'bad' writing. I'm thinking of joining a yahoo group someone suggested who have a practice similar to NaNo. Finally, I've been participating in Landmark Education for 35 years and it's the one discipline that saves me when life gets tough since it's taught me it's all empty and meaningless and we bring the meaning to every moment and everything in our lives. Thanks again for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, "hearts on sleeves" are a unique fashion statement. They're honest, something the world sorely lacks. My personal opinion and having met you, WRITE YOUR DAMN HEART OUT! Quit paying attention to the know-it-alls who know nothing. You have a talent. A wonderful voice and you give readers a fun escape, not to mention your canine characters. This career isn't about the money, as much as we wish it was. It's about doing something we love. I, too, thought about tossing the towel in after my last rejection, but realized I love writing, whether its stories, poems, blogs, or lyrics. It's something I find joy in doing. Like eating my weight in chocolate. I'm not giving that up either. Write because you like to, not to gain someone's acceptance. Hon, we're never going to make everyone happy. Find your joy, and don't let go! It's personal. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, thanks for sharing this, and congrats on the great review! It is hard to stay upbeat sometimes. As for the promotion, at times it feels like the world is screaming--IF YOU WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL, DO THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER--OR YOU'll FAIL! I always feel better when I take a deep breath and remember that it's all about the writing. The joy it brings us, and hopefully others as well. We're all on our own path and we don't have to do everything at once. And we certainly don't have to give the time of day to negative people. Chin up, stay positive, reread the good reviews and stay away from the bad ones. Above all, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewel, Lynn, Joelene and Diane. Thanks so much for your kind words and advice. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Applause for "To Tell the Truth." Very effective. I know there's a market for books like ours, or my Regency backlist wouldn't be doing so well Kindle & other e-readers. Although it sometimes seems as if "everyone" is demanding sex and violence, it just ain't so. Keep giving us the stories that make sense to you. Like that baseball field in Field of Dreams, write it and they will come. Best wishes for many more of the same.
    Grace, who writes as Blair Bancroft

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.