Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Another Holiday Pet Peeve


I can’t help it.  It’s Christmas…a time of showing our love and gratitude by giving…but I still have a bone to pick.  And what I want to pick about it this:  Who cares about material gifts. Why can’t we all be kinder to each another?

I was driving down the street with a friend and someone waved at us.  I returned the wave, but my friend didn’t.  He wanted to know who the person was in order to wave back.  I wanted to know from my friend why it mattered.  Can’t you wave to someone you don’t know to just be friendly? The friendly gesture brightened my day.  Is there a law against being kind? Do we have to be suspicious of everyone?

Here’s another one.  You’re driving along and someone cuts you off.  You veer over and get up next to them, ready to mouth a few words in their direction.  You look over and see it’s your next door neighbor. You gulp everything back down and smile instead. Should it matter that you know them?  Aren’t we all neighbors really? Aren’t we all in this life together?

 Okay.  Here’s the third one and the last one. (Luckily, I only complain in threes. J ) Christmas has been designated a national holiday that touches everyone in one way or another.  Christmas is called different things by many people. I’m reminded of a scene in the movie Santa Clause with Tim Allen.  He’s arrested and the police officer questions him about his real name.  “Name?” the officer asks. Scott Calvin replies, “Kris Kringle. Sinter Klaas.” “Name?” the officer asks again.  “Pere Noel. Buon Natale. Pelznickel. Topo Gigio.”

The same is true of Christmas. It doesn’t matter what we call it, the meaning of the season is still the same—show love and gratitude by giving.  Let’s worry less about the politically-correct name or whether trees should be called holiday trees vs. Christmas trees (1) and, instead, embrace our differences and our likes and be kind to one another whether we know each other personally or not.

Here's a song by Sammy Davis, Jr. that really reflects these feelings:



What’s your take on the holidays?

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Frohliche Weihnachten, Hristos Razdajetsja, Mele Kalikimaka,
Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  www.dragonflyromance.com
123RF Stock Photo

13 comments:

  1. Some people do embrace the true spirit and you hear so much about what individuals and organizations are doing for the Christmas holidays...but it's like on December 26, or if we're lucky January 2, people completely forget all the spirit of brotherly love and it's back to the 40+ hour work week, our own lives, and everyman for himself. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who keeps their Christmas tree up all year and they have wooden plaques throughout their house that says "believe". To them it means believe in the spirit of giving and love. Kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article, Cindy,
    For me, Christmas has always been in the joy of giving. I'd rather buy gifts for others, than receive them. My pleasure in the day is watching them open those gifts. I don't know what that makes me, but 'tis the season for brotherly love and giving from our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agreed, Tabitha. Thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for the season.
    Love, forgiveness,and a kind word make everything disolve from dark into light.
    Thank you for the reminder that the lessons of Christmas are for everyday and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy,
    You have yourself a merry little Christmas. You are an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and heartily agree. Its sad that the true meaning of Christmas has turned into a melee of buy buy buy instead love, kindness, and giving of our tine and love.

    You rock, Cindy. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree...forget the politically correct nonsense and go back to basics as I remember growing up. No one cared if we said Merry Christmas to people who didn't celebrate it. The idea of spreading goodwill and being friendly is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hear, hear, Marianne! And, merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi K R,
    It's so important to focus on the joy of Christmas. If we are rushing around and stressed about money and presents, how can we truly enjoy the real meaning? Thanks and merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You voiced my feelings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your points and agree. At this time when we should be kinder, people tend to grow angrier, more impatient, and downright selfish. It saddens me more each year. Showing love and generosity (not just monetarily) isn't that hard if you try. Oh, and for the scrooges out there, it doesn't cost you a dime to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel,
    "It doesn't cost you a dime to smile."
    I love that line and how true.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.