Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dedication to a Hero


I’m dedicating my blog to a wonderful man who died of cancer on December 24, 2011.
Obituary:

Robert “Jake” Jacobsen
Born: October 13, 1945
Died: December 24, 2011

Jake was “just your basic hero” devoting his working life to public safety.  He was a dedicated firefighter, a member of the first paramedics in Utah, and served as a crewmember on LifeFlight.  In 1984, he founded Burn Pattern Analysis and devoted 25 years to private fire investigation.
 ______________________________________

I met Jake only once, but I dedicated Love on Laird Avenue (aka, Household Repairs) to him.  As an author, I wanted to come up with a unique way to blow up a house.  I called my local fire department and was met with great concern about wanting to blow up a house.  The fire chief said it would be against regulations for him to give me that kind of information but that he knew someone who could help me.  That led me to Jake at Burn Pattern Analysis.

I remember Jake laughing about the situation when I called.  He happily agreed to meet with me for an interview.  He had the most wonderful ideas for my book.  I enjoyed talking with him so much that I didn't want the interview to end.  The world truly lost one of the good guys.  He was indeed “your basic hero.”


7 comments:

  1. What wonderful dedication. Thanks for sharing, Cindy. May there be comfort to those who knew and loved this hero at this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,

    What a lovely story. It made me wish I could have met Jake, too! So sorry for his family that he had to go this time of year, but he sounds like he was a great guy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, Cindy, that's so tragic. Hate to hear it, but I'm happy you were able to dedicate a book to him.

    Wishing peace and comfort for his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look at Jake's face, I can almost hear his laughter when you told him what you needed. Lost my father in law on Dec. 24th too. Another hero.

    Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have hero's that touch our lives.
    I'm glad you had the chance to rubbed shoulders with Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy - Isn't it great that there are such special people willing to give of their time? Great dedication. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning. I'm sure Jake is smiling down on you for your dedication to his memory. Happy Anniversary to SCP. Continued blessings on all of your endeavors. vanessaajohnson@att.net

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.