Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Dog’s Devotion


Callie Taking Care of Me
Why do I include dogs in my books, you ask?

Well, Callie is an example of why.  Recently I went through a long battle with pneumonia. Callie was by my side constantly, day and night.  No matter where I wandered, she followed. (That included trips to the bathroom.) She wouldn’t even let me go into our walk-in closet without her.  No matter how long I laid in bed, she hovered over me. At times I felt like I had to peel her off me, she stayed so close against me.  She tried desperately to lick me better, often wearing me out.  She wouldn’t settle for sitting next to me but wanted to be on top of me. Yes, at times, I wanted to say “back off.”  But, you could see the worry and concern in her eyes.  With every cough or gasp for breath I took, she lifted her head to check on me.  That, my friends, is unconditional love.

Finally, she’s decided that I’m going to live. Although the love continues to shine in her eyes, she’s more apt to sleep in her own bed, stray from side to explore the new snowfall, or go to the rest of the family for hugs and pats on the head.

Many years ago, my husband and I started seeing a family counselor.  His advice seemed sound and reasonable.  That is, until one day when he gave us his view on animals.  He told us he believes animals only have a collective conscience. Something like the Borg on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Animals are all connected without their own personalities or thoughts.

I guess you can figure out what happened next.  Our sessions abruptly ended, and we questioned the validity of everything the man had said. Dogs, any animal for that matter, without their own distinct personality or thoughts?  Pretty ludicrous in my opinion.  What’s do you think?   Do you think animals have unique personalities and their own thought processes? I really want to know.


Cindy A Christiiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: www.dragonflyromance.com


13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I do! I know they do! They are as unique as each individual snowflake. They think, they reason, they feel. Animals are incredible, and sometimes I believe they are more Human than those of us who walk upright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy:
    I had two Boykin Spaniels one male, and one female. They definitely had their own personalities. They do cling when you're sad or sick. I credit them with getting me through my husband's death. They both died within months of each other and I mourned them just as I did my beloved husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope you are feeling better. I have to disagree with your counselor...I believe whole heartedly that animals have souls, and each living soul on this earth has a personality and thought... They are gifts from above for when the human race lets us down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby,
    Sorry for your losses. I know how hard it is. I'd never give up the joy dogs bring me because I know I'll have to face the loss. Hope you've found another four-legged friend to bring you love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle,
    I'm slowly getting better. My husband got the wrong antibiotics and he's still very ill. My son's on oxygen still, but going to school. It's really been an experience. I'll probably blog about super bugs next week. ")
    I'd really like to start a poll on who else thinks animals have a collective conscience. I'd like to know their thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoever thinks dogs don't have a consciousness never lived with a Doberman. They are wiser than a good many people. I have had three dobermans and they all had very different personalities. Each was a great dog and friend (as is our current dobe) and each was very different in their sense of humor and view of life, but all were loyal, intelligent and possessed a keen understanding of people and other dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're better!
    Dogs are so unique...and wonderful pets. They "bond" with members of a family, and seem to know when you need attention. They're loving and only crave our love in return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course they have their own personality. We are currently living with our fourth dog and she is nothing like the previous three. Each one has been a character in her (or in one case his)own right :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course animals have their own personalities. That's silly to say they don't. We've had a dog, several cats and quite a few birds they all had their own individual personality that was unique to them.

    That man must not have had a childhood pet. How deprived was his childhood? "No dear, you can not have a dog. It might piddle on my expensive imported Persian rugs."

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, of course I agree with everyone's comments that animals do have their own personalities. But this was a LCSW who stated this. I'm sure there are others out there that have the same view as him. I want to hear what you think and why. It's okay. We're not all the same. That's what makes people (and animals) unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pryce Jones, you took the words out of my mouth! Although I can only think of perhaps two years of my entire life I have been without furry kids, from my teens until about fifteen years ago, I raised Dobes...the most intelligent, beautiful, loyal "individualists" I've ever had the privilege of sharing my life with. At present, my four precious "rescues" have personalities as different as night and day, and I love them dearly. But I still mourn my beautiful Hawk, faithful, beloved Doberman.
    Joelle Walker

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't written a book with a Doberman in it. I know my son loves them. Sounds like I have a new dog to write about! ")

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.