Okay, the results are in on what readers want, and it's very fascinating! There was a large response, and I've summed up the results. Take a look:
- Do you know the difference between sweet romance and clean? The majority said yes, but 40% said they didn’t know. I didn’t know for many years. Sweet romance means there’s no bedroom scenes or offensive language. A clean romance means no bedroom scenes but there is some level of language.
- Do you only read one genre of romance? 80% percent said no. The most read genre tended to be romantic suspense.
- Do you prefer a romance book with a down-to-earth hero or a hero with money, confidence and no character flaws? Our down-to-earth heroes won by an impressive 98%. The comments were that these heroes were more believable, like someone you’d really meet.
- Does a contemporary book with incorrect facts stop you from finishing the book? 35% of the readers said it did. Add that to the 46% that said sometimes, and authors better start working harder on their research.
- Do punctuation or grammatical errors stop you from finishing a book? 47% of the readers said that sometimes it did, but only 23% said it would definitely stop them. That’s a little better than the incorrect facts, folks.
- Are you wary of self-published books? The answer to this was pretty much a tie with yes slightly ahead. The general comment was that you read a lot of bad but often find a gem.
- Do you read to escape and like happily-ever-after endings? A resounding 64% said they did read to escape and preferred HEA because there is so much bad going on in the world.
- Which do you prefer: ebooks or print books? Both was clearly the winner and from the comments, both obviously have their merits. But between ebooks and print books, readers preferred print 39% to only 9% ebooks. Very interesting!
- What makes you choose a book? I have to admit, I was surprised by the results of this one. Jacket blurb took the lead at 73%. Word-or-mouth was second at 55%. I expected cover art to be the clear winner.
There you have it! I hope this little survey shed some light on the subject of what readers want. It sure has for me.
Let me know if you won the $100 Amazon Gift Card and have a great week!
Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book today at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com