Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What’s There To Be Depressed About?


It’s Spring! Should we be depressed?
Unfortunately an estimated 30 million people are depressed and taking antidepressants—that’s one in 10. That’s sad in a country so full of opportunities and freedoms.
Further narrowing down the facts, Utah has a higher rate of depression than any other US state and women suffer twice as much with depression than men. Also, depression is so high among LDS women that they even have a name for it: the Mother of Zion Syndrome. The only way they could get closer to a description of me is if they said everyone with the name Cindy A. Christiansen is depressed. (lol)
Well, I’m not depressed. And despite the fact that my doctors continually tell me I should be, I’m not. Do I get feeling down, discouraged, sad or overwhelmed?  Yes. That’s not depression. If you’ve ever had a chronic illness, you might know the difference.
Depression is when you don’t care about anything. You don’t want to do anything. Life is meaningless and you want to continually sleep to escape.
For a person with chronic health problems, you are, instead, frustrated that you don’t feel well enough to do all of the things you enjoy in life. Which type are you?
From a report on CBS Sunday Morning, Dr. DeRubeis, who co-authored a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, said antidepressants don’t benefit those with mild to moderate depression any more than a placebo. Are you wasting your money on antidepressants?
I don’t want to get all religious on you, but here’s what I believe:
On the other side of the veil, we were in the presence of God in the most glorious of places. We were ripped away and put down here on earth to face hardships and with violent shows like CSI, Law and Order and Criminal Minds to entertain us. Who wouldn’t be depressed? (lol)
Surround yourself with people and things that make you happy and do things that make you feel good about your life while you’re here. Also, remember that one day soon you’ll be back in His presence and all will be well again.
As they say, “Enjoy the ride.” I'll keep writing, loving my family, and having fun with my dogs. What will you do?


Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com


Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

8 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective. At least there is treatment available for those who struggle with deep depression. And I agree, the state of the world today really doesn't help sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depression is anger turned inside. And it's also a chemical imbalance. Whatever it is, the pills make me feel better. They help me enjoy me again. It's not necessarily about being depressed about things, life, the job, the hubby, the kids and etc. But something inside clicks and nothing you do helps. The self help books, the doctors, family and friends although some helpful some not. I am so grateful I found the medication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression is not seeing that you are the key to your own happiness. There is medical evidence regarding chemical balance, but I wonder if some don't use it as a crutch. I'm not depressed, I have anger issues and take it when necessary. Will I always take it? No. But, I will take that ride to get me out of this house. Change your scenery, do something fun. Shopping isn't fun...it's stressful and feeds on low self esteem. Thanks Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cin,
    I totally agree with Mary. That is the way I see Depression also. It's NOT just one thing it's EVERYTHING. Than it builds up and our bodies cant handle it so it has to release the Chemical some how. I think you are right on the button Mary.
    Nancy
    Smooches

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true Cindy. Y had need med for depression before and felt that I couldn't function with out them. It all started when I was given a muscle relaxer by my doctor. I have work very hard trying to get read of the meds and succeed a few years back. But then in winters I get very sad with dark days. Yes, I do have the special light. Then we figure that I need it more sun light. Yep, sun is a very important part of it, specially if you spend all your day inside in a dark house or office. When you have Vit D deficiency, you will feel depress. So after a huge dose of Vit D I am better. What it has help the most more is the "Tapping" I have been doing since our chapter meeting in Dic. It has work for me. Love it and I feel so happy. Now I am truly me.
    Anna del C. Dye
    for tales of Elfs & Romance
    http://www.annadelc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the posts, everyone!

    Believe me, there is a place for medication. My sons have severe Anxiety Disorder. Without chemical help, one of my sons can't even go outside. Still, his doctor tells him that the medication helps but he still needs to work on his mood.

    Isn't that so true? Isn't that what we all have to do? I'm sure if you take medication, you still find yourself having to work at enjoying life.

    A friend of mine works with someone who is always, and I mean always, happy. Apparently, doctors have determined that that is a mental disorder too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in a depressing world, and sometimes I am totally sick of all the evil and cruelness which exists, but I'm not depressed because of my hope and faith in a better world to come!

    Excellent post, Cindy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the phrase "Mother of Zion Syndrome." When I lived back east, the majority of our brethren worked for pharmaceutical companies. One who worked for Merck said they call Prozac "Sandy Candy" because a disproportionate amount of women from Sandy, Utah take Prozac. Not a good way for the church's name to be out there.
    BTW, I hope you will come to our next ANWA chapter meeting April 12! I can't wait to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.