Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why I Hate Animal Abuse

On March 7th, my fourth sweet romance, Hazardous Hideaway, goes on sale through Amazon, B&N and other sites. Although an important but minor scene in the book, it does deal with animal abuse. Many of you may know that I’m donating a portion of sales to help abused and abandoned dogs. I thought I’d share a story from my past to express why dogs are such an important cause to me. Thanks for talking the time to read this.



One of my favorite dogs in my youth growing up on our farm was a Blue Heeler named Duke. Despite the name, Duke was a female. She was a protective dog and worked the sheep and cattle like a pro.
One summer day, we heard Duke whimpering. We found her sprawled on the back porch steps, a bullet in her head. My dad miraculously managed to save her life, but she was never the same after that.
About two years later, my dad and I hauled a load of garbage to the dump. Duke rode in the truck by my feet. When my dad got out to unload, I reached down to pet her head. She lunged at me, knocked the glasses from my face, and bit my cheek and eyelid. The blood poured profusely from the wound. Shock ensued.
I couldn’t believe my once loyal friend would attack me. But…I also understood. I loved Duke, and I didn’t want her to get in trouble. I searched my pockets and the truck for something to soak up the blood but to no avail. I ended up wiping blood all over my jeans and the Naugahyde roof of our old 1964 Ford pick-up truck.
I hid my face as my dad stepped up into the truck. It only took a few seconds for him to notice the bloodstains. He turned my face toward him and stared at me in disbelief.
“Please don’t be mad at Duke,” I whispered to him, holding back a sob.
We returned home in silence. And, I was never to see Duke again. When I asked my dad where she’d gone, he told me she must’ve wandered off. But in my heart and by the pain in his eyes, I knew what had truly happened.


Support organizations that help abused and abandoned dogs; spay and neuter your pets; and help support legislation which would increase the penalty for animal abuse.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com


       

8 comments:

  1. It's terrible how some pets are treated in this country. I enjoyed your touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I think those who abuse animals find that they are the only things they can abuse. They are the idiots, the morons of our world. They strike something innocent so they can feel important. I would have hunted that man down and made him pay...he shouldn't have done anything to a farm worker.
    I'm sorry, Cindy. Touching story. And our 16 year old German Shepard also just happened to wander off; yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Duke. It angers me to hear or read about animal abuse, and I'd dearly love to return the action to the abuser in kind.

    Thank you for sharing about Duke, and how wonderful to donate your profits to the amazing organizations who have a heart for these beautiful and innocent creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, may you be forever blessed in your crusade for animals.
    Congratulations on your latest release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sad about Duke. You hear about stuff like that all the time, and it makes me sick.

    You know what's bad, too? They had laws in place about animal abuse before they had laws against child abuse. I read about what got that changed--they had to go after the abuse mother (she had a thing about scissors) under the animal abuse laws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments, everyone. That's shocking about the child abuse laws, Donna. It's hard to face some of the truths about our world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, what a sad story. I'm sorry for the loss of Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so wrenching to have to go through something like that. It would brake my heart. Pets are such a big thing to me because they are part of my family. I too say Take care of them and don't over populate them. That it isn't good for them or us.
    Thank you for the post
    Anna del C. Dye
    for tales of Elfs & Romance
    http://www.annadelc.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.