Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Another Bone to Pick: Tax Evasion


            I just had to bark about tax evasion since today is tax deadline. I was watching CBS Sunday Morning and the reporter said that only 85 percent of the tax money owed is collected. That leaves 15 percent going into the pockets of tax cheaters. The IRS estimates that's a $385 billion shortfall in revenues, over $3 trillion unpaid taxes in the last decade. Don’t you think that kind of money would help against the deficit?  But instead, those of us who are honestly paying our taxes have to make up the difference by paying higher taxes. And then the tax cheaters just avoid those taxes too. Something is wrong here.
            And take a guess at who the tax cheaters are:
a)    The poor
b)    The middle class
c)    The rich
            If you guessed C, the rich,  you’re correct. IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman says it is people who make a lot of money and have complicated returns who cheat on their taxes. The fraud includes multi-million dollar offshore accounts to fudging the numbers all because the tax code has become so complex there are more opportunities to cheat.
            I don’t know about you, but that frustrates me no end. If you find this annoying, let me hear from you. Let’s spread the word of our discontentment.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into good book today:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57414288/america-at-tax-time-what-cheaters-cost-us/?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel


Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos



6 comments:

  1. Yes, and most give to organizations only so they can get credit on their taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and their the ones that can hire highfalutin tax accountants to help them, but then that's just another job so...why bother. They also think by buying stuff they're doing us a service - huh, we're still cover their no go tax evading tushies. And they're worried about a tax increase - they don't pay now. Where's the increase!!!! Oh, let me get that for you. (middle income)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't lump all rich folks into this, but the biggest majority get that way by hurting the middle income, and poor people.

    For some reason, it infuriates the rich to help the needy. Guess they think it's THEIR money leaving their pockets, but it's actually hard working tax payers who do the good deeds.

    You can tell the character of a person (or candidate) by how they feel about giving money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments. I wish there was more we could do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know a lot of rich people, and I don't know a lot about taxes.
    We do have some wealthy people in our church who give enormous sums to help others. One of the quotes they've used before is: To whom much is given, much is expected. They live by it.
    If I had to guess, I'd guess the rich are like us, some fine, wonderful people, others not so much so. I believe in looking at people as individuals, not sterotypes in any category, so I guess I'm not much help on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, Gail. There's good and bad in any income bracket. The report about the rich evading taxes was from the CBS News and an interview with the IRS expert.
    My only concern, is the fact that whoever is avoiding paying their taxes puts a burden on the rest of us. Totally not fair.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.