Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Bone to Pick: Electoral Votes


I haven't had a bone to pick in awhile.  But as Election Day approaches, I just can't help complain about electoral votes. They featured this subject on CBS Sunday Morning. You've just got to watch the clip of Mo Rocca teaching a classroom of kids about Electoral College.

When every child's vote counted, they voted for markers instead of colored pencils. When they demonstrated how the electoral votes worked, colored pencils won.  The expression on their faces when they find out their vote doesn't really count is simply priceless.  And, just how I feel about the whole voting process.

If you're frustrated about this, you're not alone.  According to a CBS News Poll, 62% of Americans want to get rid of Electoral College.  Even Thomas Jefferson called it "an inkblot on the Constitution."

So why isn't that on the ballot for Americans to vote on?  Who does this voting system benefit?  Why hasn't it been changed?  What can we do to get it abolished?

If you have any answers, please let me know.  I'd be happy to sign a petition or vote. J

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Comedy, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com



2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I have been a delegate and I find other delegates never even inquired who those in their precinct wanted to preside and be voted in. They picked who they personally wanted.
    The delegates should vote by the majority of their precinct but it takes much time to contact everyone so very few if any of them do it. I tried but I still only contacted probably 1/4 - 1/3 of my precinct.
    It needs to be abolished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, LAWonder. Really wish this subject would end up on the ballot.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.