Friday, January 11, 2013

Hey! I Needed That


            
            I was up in the middle of the night worrying about or financial situation, the kids, my husband’s unemployment, the economy, my family’s future…when I saw a program on TV about Shirley Temple.  They said she was the glue that held this country together during the Great Depression.
            I ask you:  Where is our Shirley Temple?  We certainly could use someone or something to brighten our lives in the world today.  It seems to me today there is just too much violence and too much mental depression.  During this past holiday season there seemed to be an overall mood of despair amongst the people out shopping. Shoppers complained about the high cost of living, unemployment, unaffordable healthcare, having to file bankruptcy, not being able to afford Christmas and our government being incredibly mismanaged.  So what can we do?
            I’ve been reading a book by Max Braithwaite called Never Sleep Three in a Bed.  He was talking about being a kid during the Great Depression.   He said it cost a nickel to go to the movies and you usually got to see four shows—an action movie, a serial, a comedy and the serious tear-jerker. (Can you imagine?  Sheesh!)
            Some of the comedians of the time were Charlie Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton.  Here’s what Max had to say:  “Never since have I laughed so hard that I couldn’t get my breath, that my stomach pained, that I literally fell out into the aisle.  Yes, I admit it, more than once our bladders couldn’t stand the strain, and many a wet-legged kid staggered embarrassed out of the [movie theatre]. No generation of kids ever laughed as hard as we did…”
            Can you believe it?
            Today we act like we’re too embarrassed or stuck-up to even giggle in a movie theater.  Max stated that at that time they had no running water in the house, no electricity, no flush toilets, no bathtubs and no furnaces.  What was so darn funny?
            Whatever it was, I decided that I needed to cut loose with a laugh now and again.  I’m going to post a few quotes, jokes, and one-liners on my social sites.  If you’d like to laugh along, feel free.             For example:

“I've got a figure that just won’t start.” ~Phyllis Diller

(Let’s just say…I needed that!) 

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    It's good to see you're still working to bring joy to your readers. I'm sorry to hear about the layoff and hope things start looking up soon for your family.
    I find when I'm down, that I'm the only who can change my attitude. Looks like you're doing the same with you laughter. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I agree with this! I am shameless in this area. Saw a movie a while ago. Laughed out loud (not quietly) in the theater, and I was the only one who did. Pretty sure my hubby wanted to crawl under the seat. We NEED laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stanalei. It's so true that you have to do it yourself. No one does it for you. AND you can look at it as a positive or a negative. I hope this change will benefit our family and the rest of the year will be awesome! Thanks for your support. You've been a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    What in blue blazes is so wrong with laughing? I just don't get it. Let's start a new trend. Are you with me?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.