Monday, April 29, 2013

In The Dog House: Author Davee Jones, a.k.a. Allee Mae



Call off the dogs!  I finally have author Davee Jones, a.k.a. Allee Mae, in the dog house with me to tell us about her latest sweet romance--Finding Love Under a Rock.  Davee Jones began a career in the counseling field with her M.Ed.  She then diversified and began work for the federal government.  The dryness of the day to day assignments fostered the desire for her to do something more creative so she took up her passion of writing.  We're all glad she did.  Let's find out what she's up to these days.

CINDY:  Is Finding Love Under a Rock your first book?
DAVEE:   Hi Cindy, actually, this will be my sixth published book. However, it is the first sweet romance I’ve written, and the first release under the pseudonym, Allee Mae.

CINDY:  What inspired you to write your very first full-length book? What kept you going to the very end?  How did you feel when you completed it? 
DAVEE:   I began creatively writing in college; however, I quickly discovered I could not pay the bills by my writing alone. I began work for the feds. I left writing alone, save for some email angst and mad journaling, for several years. Maybe it was a mid-life crisis or my divorce that seriously spurned my writing again. It took me well over two years to write my first novel, simply because I really had no idea “how to” actually pen a book. However, my passion for writing and determination to finish the novel won out. When I wrote The End, I felt utter joy.


CINDY: Love the cover. What genre is Finding Love Under a Rock?  Tell us a little about it.
DAVEE:   This begins a series I call the Critter Getter series. This particular story contains paranormal and YA romance elements. Kalista Bristow and Leandra Lehigh moved to Oklahoma not just to attend nursing school, but, to find some adventure. When Leandra reads about the sport of “noodling”, she is literally “hooked’, and reserves top-notch guides, Caleb Chandler and Owen Guthrie, to give them a true southern experience.
Wading through the murky river, Kalista finds herself drawn to the handsome Caleb and his red-dirt good looks. He manages a few shy glances in her direction, intrigued by her tenacity. Could this cute city girl bring him out of his awkward insecurity when it comes to dating? However, thoughts of blossoming love move to the wayside as the girls find more than they bargained for under the surface of that shadowy river. They must rely on Caleb and Owen to keep them safe, all the while beginning to believe the mysterious legends the guys have been telling them are probably all true.

CINDY: That sounds amazing! Can't wait to read it. What part of the writing process do you enjoy the most?  What part do you dislike?
DAVEE:   I love the research and developing my characters and their story. I take notes constantly. My first task of everyday is to read the news, I get many ideas from true events. Or, I have a simple idea in my head and then I build on it. I have a long commute for my day job, and my mind churns constantly. As I think of something, I write it down and see how I can fit it into a WIP. However, sometimes when I’m writing, the flow just takes off and it feels great when that happens. I also have very vivid dreams and write them down as soon as I awaken to use them for a story. Also, my inspiration came from personal experiences. I use anecdotal family stories, current events, and sometimes even a simple sentence as the beginning of a new book.
The part I dislike… writer’s block. Sometimes, the arthritis in my hands acts up and I can’t always write for as long as I want. Therefore, the block is physical just as much as mental. If I do have a mental block, I relax and allow myself to get past it. When it first started happening, I freaked out believing I would never overcome it, but, I did. So, when (not if) it happens to you, breathe and allow it to pass on its’ own, but, write something every day till it passes, even if it’s crap.

CINDY: What a wonderful attitude, Davee. What motivated you to write Finding Love Under a Rock?
DAVEE:   I’ve had several releases which contain explicit content, which several family members would not read. My teenage daughter wanted me to publish something she could read. My mom made a comment about one of her friends being a critter getter- combine that with my brother, Sam, and son, Aaron, noodling for fish and an idea was born.

CINDY:  A lot of authors listen to music while they write.  Do you?  Do you have any rituals you do before, after or during writing?
DAVEE:   Yes, I love to listen to music. I usually listen to music that fits the scene. If it’s dark and foreboding, I’ll listen to moody classical. Music helps me set a tone in my mind. I listened to quite a bit of red dirt country music writing Finding Love Under a Rock.
Rituals? I always check my word count before and after a writing session. I also like to make sure I have something to drink at hand, usually water. On the stressful days, it might be wine. J

CINDY: If you could write yourself into one of your books what kind of character would you be? (e.g. the heroine, the best friend, the antagonist, strong, funny, supportive, etc.)
DAVEE:   I would be the hopeless romantic since I’m not one in the real world…go figure. lol

CINDY:  How much research do you do for one of your books?  How much of your book is fact, and how much is fiction?
DAVEE:   I research heavily. I like to highlight little known interesting facts or true trivia. When I write something that has a place in reality, I want to back up my statements. However my paranormal muse has complete creative freedom, which is sometimes mind-boggling that I can actually create a situation, no matter how far-fetched it may be. I’ll leave it to the readers to figure out the fact from fiction, (wink).

CINDY: I love including facts and controversial issues in my work too. What has writing a book taught you about yourself?
DAVEE:   That first contract brought forth in me an almost indescribable feeling of pride, elation, prestige, and fun energy- like drinking a top shelf martini while bungee jumping from the Eiffel Tower, with Ryan Gosling in the crowd of spectators. I also felt the same way when I completed my first Olympic distance triathlon, “Wow, I did that!” I feel it every time I finish writing a book.

CINDY: Way cool.  You are one amazing lady!   What do you want your readers to gain from reading one of your books?
DAVEE:   My ideal reader allows me to take them to the edge of sanity, push limits, and support a sometimes simple protagonist just trying to get by in life. I have the same type characters in my explicit writing as well as my sweet or YA books-they just don’t use the “F” word or engage in overt sexuality. It doesn’t always take erotic descriptors of body parts/functions to get a point across. But, I will bring out the sexy when a mature story requires it, (wink) just not as Allee Mae.

 CINDY:  Do you have any plans for another book?  Can you give us any details?
DAVEE:   I have about sixteen book starts ranging from sweet to explicit. Right now, I’m deep into Finding Love and Bigfoot, the second of the Critter Getter series.

CINDY:  This has been an enlightening interview, Davee.  You are amazing and thanks for joining me. How can readers find out more about you and your books? Do you have a website?  Where can they buy your books?
DAVEE:  


Sweet Cravings Publishing site: http://bit.ly/184jG9O

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com


Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.