Thursday, April 11, 2013

In the Dog House With Me: Author Carolyn Wren


Hey, I got author Carolyn Wren to "Sit" and "Stay" just long enough to answer a few questions. She is one busy woman. Want to find out some of her secrets?  Read on!




Carolyn Wren







CINDY:  Is The Protectors: The Actress 3 your first book?
CAROLYN:   It is the third book in my first published series.

CINDY:  What inspired you to write your very first full-length book? What kept you going to the very end?  How did you feel when you completed it?
CAROLYN:   I had written my 7 part series, which were mostly novella sized.  One day I had another story pop in my head, a complex urban fantasy involving psychic abilities.  I had assumed it would be the same length as my previous works to date, but the characters spoke to me, their lives became more complex, and I just had to write what they were telling me to write! When I finished, I looked back at the 121,000 word manuscript in amazement.  It was a wonderful feeling.  My next three books were over 200,000 each so I guess I caught the long book bug!



CINDY: What genre is The Protectors: The Actress 3?  Tell us a little about it.
CAROLYN:   The book is Romantic Suspense.  The series is about a group of covert operatives who form a legitimate agency, to do the work they wish to do, instead of being at the beck and call of governments around the world.  The Actress features Bryce Black, the technical wizard of the agency.  He is assigned to look after a fortune in diamonds featured on a wildly popular TV show and becomes attracted to the lead actress not realizing she is in danger from an obsessed fan.

CINDY: What part of the writing process do you enjoy the most?  What part do you dislike?
CAROLYN:   I love it when the solution to a difficult plot point suddenly resolves itself in my head.  That chapter I thought would be impossible becomes obvious and easy.  This tends to happen either at 3 am in the morning, or when I am pushing a shopping trolley around the supermarket.  I dislike the editing process, but only because I have to sit my creative muse in a corner and concentrate on the technical aspects of getting a manuscript ready for publication.  My creative muse is loud and enthusiastic, she doesn’t like to be put in a corner and told to sit and be quiet for a while.

CINDY: What motivated you to write The Protectors Series?
CAROLYN:   The Protectors was the very first thing I ever wrote.  I was lying in bed one night, unable to sleep. There was a full moon outside and the moonbeams were falling across the bed in an interesting pattern.  A scene came to me of a man holding a woman while she slept, with moonlight on her face.  That was it, just one scene, but I woke with an entire story in my head. I was literally motivated by moonlight, doesn’t that sound like a great name for a novel?

CINDY:  A lot of authors listen to music while they write.  Do you?  Do you have any rituals you do before, after or during writing?
CAROLYN:   I cannot listen to music while I write, I find it distracting and prefer the room to be quiet.  But I do have pieces of music that inspire me for each story.  In a book I wrote recently I took my inspiration from Neil Diamond’s song Play me, because the line ‘For I was lonely, in need of someone,’ fit my character’s profile exactly.  My writing ritual is I have to have the prologue, the epilogue and the emotional connection of my characters in my head before I sit and begin to type.  My ‘before’ ritual is to open a new folder on my desktop, once I do that, I know I’m committed.  My ‘after’ ritual is to send the story to my favorite test reader.  I know she will always be honest with me, and I value her opinion highly.

CINDY: If you could write yourself into one of your books what kind of character would you be? (e.g. the heroine, the best friend, the antagonist, strong, funny, supportive, etc.)
CAROLYN:   In The Protectors book 4 The Hostage, the female covert operative is tiny, only 5ft tall, the same as me.  She is feisty and an amazing agent, a true crime fighting heroine.  I have to admit, although I am not her, I would love to be.

CINDY:  How much research do you do for one of your books?  How much of your book is fact, and how much is fiction?
CAROLYN:   I do a lot of research, but I do it as I’m writing. In one paranormal book I had a flashback setting to a nunnery, and as I sat to write it I realized I had no idea what time period to set it in, and what exactly happened in medieval nunneries, so I had to stop, and do my research.  My books, even my as yet unpublished fantasy/paranormal books are all highly factual.  My logical brain won’t let me write something unless it is feasible.  I suspect it’s the downside of spending my academic life as a book-keeper.  Everything has to balance!

CINDY: What has writing a book taught you about yourself?
CAROLYN:   It has taught me patience.  And it has opened up a whole world of wonderful creativity that I didn’t know existed within myself.

CINDY: What do you want your readers to gain from reading one of your books?
CAROLYN:   I hope readers of this series enjoy the little threads that continue throughout all seven books, how previous characters pop in and out as cameos so we continue the stories of their lives.  It is something I really wanted to do with this series, and one of my favorite parts of the books. 

CINDY:  Do you have any plans for another book?  Can you give us any details?
CAROLYN:   I have 7 books contracted for publication and 15 books on my desktop, 12 are completed.  I have so many ideas in my brain I don’t know which one to start first. 
My urban fantasy is one I would like to work on next, it needs a lot of editing, but I love the story and think, once polished up, it could be something really different.  However, my friends are very keen for me to get back my regency romance.  I teased them with an opening chapter, and they all want to know what happens next!

CINDY:  How can readers find out more about you and your books? Do you have a website?  Where can they buy your books?
CAROLYN:
My website is www.carolynwren.com
My personal blog is www.carolynwrenauthor.wordpress.com 
My group blog with 3 other wonderful authors is www.theromanticmuse.com
The books are available as e-books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Bookstrand, and ARe.
My publisher"s buy links for the 3 books so far released in The Protector series are:  
Diplomat's Daughter (The Protectors Series Book 1): http://bit.ly/16TfxlM
The Scientist (The Protectors Series Book 2): http://bit.ly/10Nkfzj
The Actress (The Protectors Series Book 3): http://bit.ly/10UIyf3
(varying heat levels in these books)

Thank you, Carolyn. I really enjoyed getting to know more about you and your writing. I wish you tons of sales and success.

Please feel free to post questions or comments for Carolyn.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com




Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

8 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn, I love the premise for The Actress, Book 3 of The Protectors Series.

    I find the Moon gives off a light that triggers my creativity, too. I stare up at the moon through the skylight in my bedroom and my imagination soars!

    Huge congrats on all of your amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy, enjoyed your post and Carolyn, your book cover is striking in all black and white with a little red. Beautiful and the story sounds wonderful. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Judy.
    I really love Carolyn's cover too! It's so striking! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn,
    Your series is a wonderful set! Certainly will keep readers engaged. I wish you all the best with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathleen.
    My creative muse certainly does seem to enjoy the moonlight, she has a habit of waking me up in the middle of the night with ideas. I remember when I was on a cruise ship a couple of years ago, watching the moonlight on the ocean, it was truly magical. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy
    I am blessed to have Dawne Dominique as my cover artist, she is so talented, and in high demand, and is kept busy with all the wonderful books coming out of Secret Cravings. I really wanted all the books in the series to follow a theme, and she fulfilled my wishes perfectly. My next cover should be arriving for book 4 sometime in May, I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa
    Thank you, that's a lovely thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, I'll be checking out your series

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.