Monday, April 15, 2013

In the Dog House With Me: Author Rhonda Laurel


I'm as happy as a flea in a dog house to have author Rhonda Laurel on my blog today.  Let's get started:

CINDY:  Is Memories of You your first book?
RHONDA:   No, actually Memories of You is my fourth published work.  I’ve had three novellas published in the past year.

CINDY:  What inspired you to write your very first full-length book? What kept you going to the very end?  How did you feel when you completed it? 
RHONDA:   I’ve always had a fertile imagination and wanted to share the movies that played in my head.  The ability to bring a book to a satisfying conclusion for the reader is often the motivation for me to complete and get it published. 


CINDY: What genre is Memories of You?  Tell us a little about it.
RHONDA:   Memories of You is contemporary romance.  It’s the story of doctor Cameron Spencer.  Cameron has to face her past when her son Jason starts to ask questions about his father.  Jason is at a point in his life where he needs a complete picture of who he is, which includes the father he’s never met.  Mother and son embark on two journeys.  Jason sets out to learn the truth.  Cameron has to make amends with her past.

CINDY: What part of the writing process do you enjoy the most?  What part do you dislike?
RHONDA:   I like outlining the best.  Putting together a string of ideas to compose a plot is exciting.  The synopsis is usually the hardest for me.  I feel like I’m etching the story into a stone tablet and it can’t be change once the synopsis is done.  Lol.

CINDY: What motivated you to write Memories of You?
RHONDA:   The motivation for me was to create a character that had to make a life altering decision and get a chance to see how that decision ripples through the rest of their life.

CINDY:  A lot of authors listen to music while they write.  Do you?  Do you have any rituals you do before, after or during writing?
RHONDA:   It depends.  Sometimes a song gives me an inspiration for the story.  But I do use mood music to assist me with scene writing. 

CINDY: If you could write yourself into one of your books what kind of character would you be? (e.g. the heroine, the best friend, the antagonist, strong, funny, supportive, etc.)
RHONDA:   Since I am a third generation smart ass, I would be a good fit for the funny, supportive best friend.

CINDY:  How much research do you do for one of your books?  How much of your book is fact, and how much is fiction?
RHONDA:   I like to get some insight on the characters occupations, the geographical locations I select.  Most of my work is fiction but I often have stories set in states or cities I’ve visited.  I love California and have visited the state many times.  Many of my stories are based in California or on the west coast.

CINDY: What has writing a book taught you about yourself?
RHONDA:   It has taught me patience!  From the concept of the story to reading the galleys, it’s all a process than will only have a positive outcome with a lot of patience.

CINDY: What do you want your readers to gain from reading one of your books?
RHONDA:   I want my readers to have a good combination of love, lust and laughter. The best part about the journey of a romance between two characters is how they deal with their issues in order to let love into their lives.

CINDY:  Do you have any plans for another book?  Can you give us any details?
RHONDA:   I released a novella titled Star Crossed on April 12th.  I also have two more projects to be released this year.  MVP is the sequel to my novella For the Love of the Game and California Bored and Tourism a short story releasing in July.

CINDY:  How can readers find out more about you and your books? Do you have a website?  Where can they buy your books?
RHONDA:  

Rhonda, it was great having you here.  I wish you much success with all your writing endeavors.


Hey everybody, feel free to ask questions and leave comments for Rhonda.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com


Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your sweet romance, Rhonda. Happy to have you here.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.