Thursday, January 23, 2014

Have You Ever Been Criticized?


No kidding! Teddy wrote this just for me—for writers everywhere!

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of good deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ~Teddy Roosevelt


Well, obviously he didn't write it for me.  I wasn't even born yet. But his words rang true with me, and I’m sure they will ring true with other writers as they face bad reviews and criticism by people how have never attempted to write a book in their lives. However, I’m sure this will resonate in other people’s hearts as well.

How about you? What have you attempted to do in your life with which you have received criticism? Does Teddy’s words help you to press on? Drop me a comment and let me know.
  

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com



5 comments:

  1. Teddy Roosevelt, a very wise man. I've had bad reviews. If I get a really bad one and I don't agree, then I just have to pick myself up and sweep the cruel words into a dust pan and dump them in the trash. I don't expect everyone to like my work. I mainly write for myself and my tastes, but I welcome fans and reviewers. Good lessons can be learned from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece. Love the quote. Yes, bad reviews make me cringe. But then I get up and get back to writing. I can't please everyone and as long as I can please my toughest critic, me, then I'm okay. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! That Teddy was a wise man. I`ve gotten to the point that I now know hot to take critics too seriously. We can`t please everyone, so we just have to dust ourselves off when we get a bad review and keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must remember this: "if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat"

    Wish I'd known that growing up! Excellent advice, Teddy:) I knew there was a reason I liked you;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments Tabitha, Jean, VL and Molly. This really hit home with me not only in my writing career but other areas of my life, especially raising my kids.

    I had a therapist who kept telling me I was doing it all wrong with my kids. Not only did she not have special needs kids, she had never raised a child at all. Just walk in a mother's shoes...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.