Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Personal Prose: A Jelly Roll to Die For


What did my husband bring home with him when he returned from his mother's? Only about five dozen eggs. That's right. Don't know if you have noticed but the price of eggs has really gone up. I couldn't just waste them.

So I remembered from my childhood what Mom used to do when we had an abundance of eggs on the farm...  She made jelly rolls and froze them. I set out on a journey to find a really good recipe that used A LOT of eggs. LOL

The one that really stood out was this prize-winning recipe from Taste of Home. Apparently the woman won two county fairs with this recipe. Although absolutely delicious, it is a fair amount of work. Even though I had help and set up a production line to make several many jelly rolls, we were exhausted by the end of the day. If you plan on making only one, it would be great. Save this one for a special treat!



FYI, I did two different fillings:  Lemon sauce and Strawberry Jam with Cream Cheese Frosting. Let me know if you would like those recipes.

I love including food in my books and, of course, I love a good treat while I'm writing too!

Happy Snacking!


Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com


Dog Image credit: damedeeso / 123RF Stock Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.