Sunday, February 9, 2014

Terry Fator: What's Your Impression?

Wishbone doing an impression of Sherlock Holmes 

Maybe some of you remember the 1970s show The Kopykats with Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, George Kirby and more. Every week these talented impressionists appeared in comedy skits spoofing old movies and TV shows. I was fascinated and in awe of all the talent!


Rich Little

With no VCR or DVD recorder, I used a cassette player and taped the audio. Unfortunately, it was on during dinner time and dishes. I remember grabbing a dish from the drainer and dashing into the living room long enough to dry and watch.  (I really annoyed my sister.)

I began practicing and practicing until I had worn out the tapes and even got pretty good at a few--both male and female. In middle school, I got bold enough to do a few in front of friends. Word spread and I was soon doing impressions in class and in front of crowds in the lunchroom. I look back on the memories fondly. But with all things, practice makes perfect and my life moved in a different direction.

When I first say Terry Fator, the ventriloquist, impressionist, comedian, singer, my throat grew thick, my heart raced, and my nerve endings tingled. I'd never seen anyone with so much talent in my entire life.

The fact that he does over 100 impersonations with 16 different puppets is enough to boggle my mind. I have such adoration for him and his talent. Wow! What a gift. Someday, I hope to catch his live show, but for now, enjoy this Youtube clip with me.

   

Tell me, whose talent do you most admire? 

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.