Friday, May 2, 2014

I'll Be True to You




As many of you know, my precious Callie girl had to be put down due to kidney failure on April 14, 2014.  She would have been twelve on May 3rd.  Although my sorrow and depression is still raw, it helps to think of the special times we have had together to ease the pain.

I remember the day I chose her.  Her parents were supposedly both papered Jack Russell terriers.  I’m sure you have heard stories about how hyper these dogs are.  Well, there were two puppies remaining in the litter—a rambunctious, short-haired, truly Jack Russell looking male and a long-haired, calm, not-so-much-looking Jack Russell female.  I chose the pup that looked me in the eye and said, “I’ll be true to you.”

And she was.

She spent all of her life in my lap, by my side, at my feet.  She occasionally acknowledged the rest of the family with a romp, hike, or quick snack, but she was true to me.


We adopted Callie not long after we began an addition on the back of our house.  She was not yet potty-trained and just a tiny bundle of fur.  The construction workers were busy digging a basement at the back of the house next to the kitchen and dining room.  Their heads were level with the floor of the main level.

I was baking the workers a batch of caramel-filled chocolate chip cookies when I heard this roar of laughter.  I raced over to the dining room to see Callie placing a long, warm present in front of the sliding glass door for all the workers to see.  I was totally embarrassed.  Callie, on the other hand, walked away very proud of herself.  Twenty minutes later, the workers were still grinning and chuckling when I took a plate of cookies out to them.

I’ve had some very loving dogs through the years, but I’ve never had one that was so concerned for my health.  Callie truly mothered me, fussed over me, and worried over me.  At times with my precarious health, she actually clung to me like the Grinch’s dog Max when the Grinch had to squirm out of his clinging grasp like wiggling out of a tight pair of pants.


As a child, I always held a brown plaid and corduroy stuffed turtle my mother made for me in order to sleep.  Since my teens, my arms have always been around a wonderful, special dog.  Although Callie will never be forgotten and never be replaced, just as none of the other dogs in my life have been, I hope that a new special spirit joins our family to brighten our days, share our joys and pains, and cuddle with me.  I’ll be true to you.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF CALLIE
May 3, 2002 – April 14, 2014

I would like to thank all those wonderful people who love animals and work with them on a daily basis.  In searching for a new family member, I have met and worked with some awesome people who love dogs as much as I do.  I admire you and your dedication to these wonderful animals. Thank you for all you do.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense…and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.