Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The 1960 Dream Car Is Still a Dream

Except for me and my new little pup, Chloe, I live in an all male household. Engines, classic cars, burping, and farting are all part of my life. I love classic cars...or should I say classic trucks.  (What can I say.  I'm a country girl.) Someday I'll post a photo of the truck I love.

Meanwhile, take a look at this 1960 Dream Car designed for Bobby Darin by Andrew Di Dia, a clothing designer.

cid:1.2219469769@web164904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

It took four workers from 1953 to 1960 to hand-build this beauty.

It cost $93,647.29 but sold to Darin in 1961 at a cost of over $150,000.00.
That's equal to $1.5 million in today's money.

At the time, the car was listed as the most expensive custom-made car in the world by the Guinness Book of World Records. 

Its metallic red paint was made with 30 coats of ground diamonds for sparkle.

cid:5.2219469770@web164904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com


Notice the glass cockpit in back. It also had retractable headlamps, rear indicators that swiveled as the car turned, so-called floating bumpers, and a trunk that was hinged from the driver's side.


cid:3.2219469769@web164904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

 Dig that groovy square steering wheel.

The interior was rust colored and the design included the first backseat-mounted radio speakers and hidden windshield wipers that started themselves when it rained.  Way cool!

Each of the four bucket seats had their own thermostatically controlled air conditioning, individual cigarette lighters, ashtray, and radio speaker.

cid:7.2219469770@web164904.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

So here is the famous Bobby Darin standing by his one-of-a-kind car.
He drove his wife, Sandra Dee, in this car to the 34th Annual Academy Awards in 1961 just after he purchased it.

In 1970, Darin donated his dream car to the St. Louis Museum of Transportation where it remains today.

It would be awesome to see it up close.

Happy driving!

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs! 
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

(This story and images were sent to me in an email.  I have no idea of the source and do not wish to infringe on any copyright laws.  Its just a way cool car that everyone should see. You may want to check with the St. Louis Museum for further information.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.