Friday, July 18, 2014

Dogs vs. Mankind

Andy Rooney and his daughter's dog
“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” ―Andy Rooney

Recently, there were two articles in the local news about animal abuse.  It got me thinking about how often times we assume that just because we love our pets, everyone else does.  I can’t even imagine abusing an animal.  It is as foreign to me as space aliens.  I guess we as human being tend to judge others by ourselves, but that can be dangerous.

I was watching a classic television show the other day and the character said, “If them folks have dogs, then them there are good people.”  I marveled at the number of times I have thought the same thing, but all you have to do is listen to the news to find out differently.  The same day, my husband emailed me a link to a news article about an elephant that had been abused for fifty years.  So sad.

As Mark Twain said, “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” 

Again, I am grateful to those who dedicate their lives to helping abused and abandoned animals around the world.  Thank you.

Here are a few classic movie stars who loved their dogs.  Let’s smile with them.

Audrey Hepburn and her Yorkie

Don Ameche and his Irish Setter

Elizabeth Taylor and her Cocker Spaniel

Randolph Scott and his Great Danes

Roy Rogers and his German Shepherd

Shirley MacLaine and her Boxer

Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis with his Poodle

Marilyn Monroe and her Maltese


Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Andy Rooney photo: http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Andy-Rooney-s-Sunbeam-Tiger-comes-home-4569056.php#photo-4722592
Photos:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.