Friday, September 26, 2014

You've Got to Try A Little Kindness


Couldn't make up my mind whether Glen Campbell's song, Try a Little Kindness, or the video, Acts of Kindness, shared my feelings more this week.  Therefore, you get both.  You're welcome.


I don't know about you, but it has been a difficult week for me.  People have disappointed me, but I will not let them turn me into a grouch.  I honestly don't know why we can't be kinder to one another.  We are all on this journey together. Hurting someone or damaging their career will not make you a better person.


I went to a conference a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed the speaker, Nicholas Epley, Professor of Behavioral Science at the University of Chicago.  He does research about personality and social psychology.  If you get a chance to hear him you should, or buy his book, Mindwise.

He said that when asked on the subway whether a person wants to talk to someone else or sit alone in peace, most people choose to sit in peace.  However, when asked to engage with others, those that did were the most happy.  In other words, we think we want to be left alone but it isn't true.  We are social animals.

Open your hearts this weekend and reach out to others in a kind way.  Sometimes you get your hand slapped, but most often your kindness is returned.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs! 
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Nicholas Epley: http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.