Monday, November 24, 2014

A Rare Thanksgiving


It was a rare moment, a divine day.  With two boys who have autism and mood disorders, our household is rarely calm.  And, with my health problems and high pain level, I seldom feel at peace.  On one particular Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, all the stars must have aligned and Heavenly Father joined us for the day.

We all got up early to get the turkey ready.  My youngest son was extremely excited and loved pulling the missed pin feathers from the bird.  We slathered a generous amount of butter on the turkey, bagged it, and placed it in our largest roasting pan.  Into the oven it went.

Time for hot chocolate for all in various flavors and topped with whipped cream.  We settled in to watch the sun come up on a beautiful, warm, sunny day with plenty of autumn colors to feast our eyes upon.  The boys were unusually content and happy.  They didn’t quarrel or yell or get moody and instead played contentedly.  Peace filled our home like no other time I can remember and also a blissful silence that no one wanted to break.

I reveled in the moment, stretched out on the couch, my fingers intertwined behind my head, and soaked up the serenity.  The house was filled with the wonderful aroma of Thanksgiving.  It was a rare and precious moment given to us by Heavenly Father, and I said a prayer of gratitude for this special time and all of our blessings.  I watched the boys playing together in peace with love in my heart.  The day continued that way, and, for once, we had a peaceful meal.

The next day returned to pandemonium and my pain level soared, but I continued to feel that peace and joy for days. Take the time to enjoy all those special moments in your life and give thanks for all your blessings, even those days of chaos. 


“Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley



Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs! 
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Copyright: serjedi1 / 123RF Stock Photo
Copyright: Jiri Vaclavek / 123RF Stock Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.