Monday, November 10, 2014

The Elation of Publication


Having always been active growing up on a farm, I thought I would go absolutely mad when an unknown illness forced me to be bedridden.  Only able to drag my hand across a notepad, I began writing my first novel.

Once hooked, a true author can’t stop writing.  I did all I could to that first draft and then I started reading how-to books.  After that, I pushed myself to writing classes and workshops and then collapsed for weeks after.  It didn’t stop me.  From what I learned I was back in bed doing rewrites on the information I had learned.

Skipping ahead many years, I finally published my first book. (It wasn’t the first book I wrote.)  Much hard work, sacrifice, struggle, hopes and dreams were wrapped up in that moment.  When that first box of books arrived in the mail, I felt such victory and vindication that despite how hard this illness had tried to keep me down, I had fought back and won.

I sank down on the floor next to the box and ripped it open, feeling rejuvenated by adrenaline, my heart drumming wildly.  Victory!

A couple of months went by and I had actually sold a number of books.  The fact that I had a published book made me feel ecstatic but to know that people were reading my words brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Until…

One day the phone rang.

“Is this, Cindy?” a man asked.

“Yes, it is.”

“I’ve read your book, Legacy of Lies.”

There was a long pause.  I gulped hard.  He made no comment whether he liked the book or not.  My heart beat in my chest so hard it physically hurt.


I’ll finish this story next week with a different emotion.


Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at:  http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Copyright of dog photo: damedeeso / 123RF Stock Photo

2 comments:

  1. I love your site. It's very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flossie. I really like the black background. Some people don't. I've tried it both ways.

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.