Monday, April 20, 2015

That Heavenly Place


I’ve been chronically ill and chronically in pain for over thirty years, so it was no wonder I experienced such joy from an out-of-body experience.

One summer day, I rushed around the kitchen, preparing food for company and the holiday. I headed out the door into the garage and down the steps. Somehow, I stepped wrong, fell, landed painfully on my hip on a gallon metal can of paint thinner, severely twisted my ankle, and hit my head on the edge of the step.

I blacked out and floated up and up…away from all the pain I was so used to experiencing. No pain. No symptoms. A peace that I have never experienced before or after in my physical body. A warmth…like sunshine radiating through my body. Tranquility... Happiness... Wellness… Wholeness… Bliss. I radiated in my pain-free freedom and relished every moment.

Suddenly, I was thrust back into my agonizing body. I gasped. I didn’t want to be here. No! Please! I blacked out again. Could I just stay in this state of euphoria for just a little while longer?

I can’t remember if I heard the words or just sensed the feeling, but as much as I didn’t want to, I had to return to my body and the discomfort. As I came around again, my mind and body struggled with the new level of pain thrust upon it. 

My husband was kneeling by my side, talking to me. I had no clue as to what he was saying. I could see the concern in his expression. He helped me into the house. All I wanted to do was return to that glorious place of peace, freedom and wholeness.

Since then, I see myself in my mind’s eye differently. I look more like I did as a child. My hair is platinum blonde, long and curly, like I had at an early age. I’m thin and shapely and have none of the scars, pains, or ailments I suffer with on a daily basis. Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I am surprised at who I see.

On days of great agony, this memory comes back to me and I cry joyful tears, knowing that I must be patient and enjoy what I can of this life in order to return to that heavenly place.

In the Near Light
by Karl Skala
Would you really call this dying?
In the near light, but far away.
This light which our hope nurtures.
To the star, high above
everyone has traveled there in their mind
before your body, the mind, the spirit
belonged once to the stars
let this light shine deep in your heart, in your dreams
on this earth.
Death is an awakening.


Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com
Dog Angel Photo Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.