Wednesday, July 22, 2015

German Sour Cream Twists

German Sour Cream Twists
No, I don't have a cooking blog.  I'm sharing this recipe to see if it is familiar to anyone.  I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Internet.  I associate these cookies with warm, happy memories of my childhood.  My mother made them, and they are so unique and different.  The aroma is delicious.

Was my mother German?  No.  Where did the recipe come from?  No clue.  And, unfortunately, I have no family left to ask.

I have made the best modifications I could because most of her old recipes had very little details.  In fact, I have a Peanut Brittle recipe of hers that says "remove from fire." LOL

Wish I could make these for you, but here is the recipe.  Let me know if you have any information to share about them.

German Sour Cream Twists

3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 cake yeast, * see tip
1 cup soured cream, * see tip
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar, divided

1. Cut shortening into salt and flour.

2. Add yeast, soured cream, well-beaten eggs, and vanilla. Stir.

3. Then mix with hands.

Half of the dough

4. Cover bowl with damp cloth and set in fridge for 1/2 hour to 1 hour. (This was not specific in my mother's recipe.)

5. Take out half of dough and 1/2 cup sugar.  Sprinkle rolling surface and dough with some of sugar.

6. Roll dough into a 8 x 16 inch oblong. (I use a ruler for this.)

8 x 16 inch dough

7. Fold 2 ends into center allowing one end to overlap the other. Turn.

Turn and roll the other way

8. Sprinkle with more sugar and roll, fold, and turn again. Repeat 3 times. (If you run out of 1/2 cup of sugar, you can add more.)

You can see all the layers


9. The last time, sprinkle with sugar, roll  1/4 inch thick and cut into 1 x 4 inch strips. (I still roll to 8 x 16 because it is easy for marking and cutting.

I use a ruler to measure and cut
10. Twist ends of each strip in opposite directions and place on un-greased cookie sheet.

11. Repeat with other half of dough.

12. Bake 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Tips
One yeast cake equals 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

This is not sour cream you buy in the store today but whipping cream that has soured. If you don't have any, you can make it instantly by mixing 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. You can also try Creme Fraiche (french cultured cream) as a substitute.

Can you see all the sugary layers?
These are yummy but are best eaten in a day or two.  Enjoy!



Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs! 
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.