Monday, March 28, 2016

Cindy A. Christiansen: Nothing’s Ever Black and White

My autistic son, Sparky, at the age of fourteen, had a melt-down and smacked the back of his head on his headboard. Of course, there were tears and snot and smacking himself in the head with his hands. What else is new? Oh, yeah. He said he could only see black and white out of his left eye.

I scoffed. Right. What was he up to this time?

To prove my point, I took him to the doctor. I smiled as we went into the exam room. Black and white. Sparky was so full of it. Just another excuse to get out of school.

The doctor came in, questioned us and started the exam. I was still smiling. Just wait until he tells Sparky that there’s nothing wrong, and he’s totally fit to go to school.

“Yes, I can see it,” the doctor said. “There’s mild damage to the optic nerve.”

Shocked, I inhaled, and my smile pulled into a frown. “Seriously?”

“Yes.”

“Could it cause him to see black and white?”

The doctor nodded. “It could.”

“I told you, Mom,” Sparky yelled, pumping both fits in the air.

Dang! My shoulders sagged. Why is it I can never win with him? Anytime I’ve ever tried to prove my point, that sweet little kid comes out smelling like a rose.

He is now twenty-two and will come to me and say, “My eye hurts. I’m seeing black and white in my left eye today, Ma.”

And I say, “Okay, Sparky. I believe you.”




Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Dog image copyright: hannamariah / 123RF Stock Photo
For more information on vision and head injuries, see: http://www.everydayhealth.com/vision-center/head-injuries.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.