Monday, April 4, 2016

Frumpy Shoes

I WISH!
Yeah! I really dislike this time of year. The earth warms up. Coats come off. Sweaters come off. Capris come out. Sleeves shorten. And, the dreaded shoes get skimpier…sandals, flip flops, etc.

Except for me. I’ve been wearing “old lady” shoes most of my life. This is due to:
  • Bursitis
  • Diabetic Neuropathy
  • Flexible arches
  • Calcium build up in Achilles’ Tendons
  • Bone spurs
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Abnormal Swelling of Plantar Fasciitis (3 times its size)
  • Fibromyalgia
  • CFIDS
  • MS


I’m grateful I can walk! I really am. I’m grateful for shoes that support my feet that allow me to walk. However, there is something about spring and summer when everyone else is wearing pretty sandals that makes me feel dowdy. I want to wear capris, but I feel like a frump in my big bulky “old lady” shoes. White, black or neon colored, I just don’t feel it looks pretty.

Yes, I see women who do it. Do I judge them? No. I just don’t want to be one of them, especially not these past thirty years. So, if you see me out teaching a writing class or doing a book signing, please don't look down at my shoes.

And, just forget high-heeled shoes! They would kill me! Can't do it; no way!

I’m always seeing posts about how much women love shoes and shoe shopping. Ugh! I can’t even switch shoes without being in pain. I wear the same pair all of the time, or I can’t walk for days.

Be grateful if you can enjoy those lovely summer sandals, and I’ll continue to be thankful I can walk in my frumpy shoes, although slightly disappointed every spring BOGO shoe event!

Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com
Copyright of woman with dog: fotomircea / 123RF Stock Photo

2 comments:

  1. When it's capri weather, I live in sneakers! Unless I'm headed to church or someplace dressy...then I wear my dressy flat heeled sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Molly. They are probably the cute, small sneakers that look nice with capris and not the big bulky New Balance ones with extra support that I have. I look down and go, "frumpy." :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.