Monday, April 11, 2016

I Do NOT Have OCD! (Well, maybe just a little.)


I am not obsessive compulsive! The Mayo Clinic defines obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) as being characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). That's not me.

I don't have a fear of man hole covers. (Maybe a little bit of fear of those steel plates they put on the road to cover holes they've dug.) And, I don't think my thoughts are unreasonable. What would it hurt the Department of Transportation (DOT) to instruct all road works to replace the man hole covers so the painted stripe matches up? That isn't unreasonable, is it?



I can't help it if seeing the line not match up drives me crazy! That doesn't mean I'm obsessive compulsive. So, I am compelled to call DOT to do something about it. I haven't gotten through...so far. So I've thought about carrying a crowbar to move them and straighten those lines. I haven't...yet. I do have some control.

So I can't stand the television volume on an odd number. That doesn't make me OCD either. Even numbers sound better. There must be a study that proves my point.

Ever see a row of vending machines and the coin slots are all turned different? Just because I have to have them all facing the same direction doesn't mean I'm compulsive. I'm not afraid of them. I don't obsess about them after I straighten them and leave the store.

In my book, Time Will Tell, the heroine has a little OCD going on. I actually used a little personal experience to write that scene. Holly's Uncle Kipp is a hoarder and she is there to help him after he falls and gets hurt in all the clutter. Here's a little excerpt:



Holly ground her teeth and growled under her breath. So many unanswered questions, so much mess. How could she think in all this disorder? She knew she had issues. She admitted she liked things methodically laid out. Even a sane person would be bothered by all this clutter. She loaded up another box of trash, feeling her anxiety crawling out to the ends of her hair.

A memory flashed in her mind of the last time she’d felt this horrible. So she’d snuck a hammer into her doctor’s office waiting room to reposition the paintings that were unevenly hung. What had been the harm in that? She’d told the nurse she had no intention of using the hammer to kill Dr. Bailey. They’d totally blown the whole situation out of perspective. A restraining order had been a bit much.

Okay, I didn't take a hammer into my doctor's office. But, I did reposition all the paintings in the waiting room so they were uniform while no one was looking. I just have an artistic eye.

All right! What little thing annoys you? You aren't admitting to OCD. You just have your likes and dislikes. I want to hear from you.



Cindy A. Christiansen
Sweet Romance, Humor, Suspense...and Dogs!
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com

Copyright of dog on street: jkraft5 / 123RF Stock Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting.